It is ready! It is ready! We have worked tirelessly to make this space your second home. Okay, we are exaggerating a tad bit but we want you to feel as close to home when you visit us.
Yes, ladies and gentlemen, book lovers of all sizes and genres – we are pleased, nay, VERY pleased to present The Basement. The space is ready for literary exploration and we are waiting (impatiently) to welcome you here. We have a few tips, tricks and guidelines for your visit. For this essential announcement, we suggest you lower the music volume, think of your favorite book, bring that spaced out expression on an we’re set!
- Schedule the visit, put it on your calendar. In order to completely immerse yourself in the awesomeness of The Basement, we think you need to take atleast 2 hours out of your schedule. Also, this serves as a great hiding spot in case you’re trying to avoid that friend, or work, or the police etc.
- Bring your own music or listen to ours. :) We have a lovely vintage record player, with several records to choose from so please feast your ears and ask our staff to help you in case you want to change a record.
- BYOP (Bring your own players or people) – yep we are serving games at The Basement and you don’t want to be seen playing a game of Scrabble alone. So bring that friend of yours who keeps challenging you on Word with Friends on Facebook. There is no way they can cheat here!
- Revive the detective in you! If you happen to drop by before 12th April and we know you will, you can participate in our awesome literary treasure hunt! Whoever finds the highest number of our secretly coded postcards will receive a free shopping voucher and if you find a Golden Ticket you win a free book on the spot!
- Prepare to leave; as in we don’t want you to leave but we’ve had customers complaining that they are having a hard time leaving so we just want to tell you to come prepared. We’d be happy to host you for as long as you’d like to stay.
- Finally, keep your camera handy! We have lots of fun elements placed around the basement which will make you itch to pull your camera out and take a quick picture. Just for the record, we encourage such behavior, just don’t forget to tag us on social media. We get quite excited when you do that. Just saying. :)
Hello fellow book lovers, we’ve been silent for a while on this very special project of ours. The past few weeks had us wrapped up in several events and we’re super grateful to you, precious readers, who keep us going everyday. :)
The Project (as much as we enjoyed calling it that) has a name, The Basement and its is almost ready for a fabulously literary (because we don’t do any other kind of fabulous) launch party in March 2015. While we can’t divulge what this party will exactly entail we want you all to be there. And since we don’t want you to miss out on all the fun while we are working on our last bits, here’s a short tour of what’s already out there, and believe us when we say it; most people we’ve taken to The Basement have said they want to live there and we will gladly let you spend as much time there as you want. We’re still working out the details on the living bit. :)
In the company of greatness.
Imagine some nice classics plays while you browse…
Our vintage radio is the star of the History section.
The best view.
Spotted at The Basement: The Beatles!
Oh and in case you’re wondering where The Basement is – it is right under our outlet next to BBQ tonight so one hopefully does not need a complicated GPS machine to get there. Here’s the link to the map in case you haven’t been there yet: The Basement Map Feel free to drop by and experience the space! We’d love to hear from you.
Hello fellow project supporters! We have news and we have news. The work for The Project is underway; we (almost) have a name and we can’t just divulge it yet because like first-time parents we are being picky, obsessive and a bit compulsive.
Anyway, THE news is that we have a date and if all goes amazingly well (knocking wood here) we will be ready to invite you over a nice steaming cup of coffee or tea in February over a lovely collection of books. Clear up your schedules and yes, we will make sure that your KLF visit schedule is not disturbed. Did we mention we’ll be at KLF this year as well? Do pay us a visit if you plan on attending. :)
We’re gearing up for an awesome formal launch event in March with all of you. So if you have suggestions as to what should be happening; please send in your requests. We want it to be fun, creative and very books happy.
Before we sign off for the week, guess what we found for the space this week – this classic Telephone Booth Piggy Bank. We are still trying to decide what we should collect in this (game rentals, perhaps). All the same, we LOVE it.
So last week was a bit crazy for us. We were trotting along, excited about The Project and how work was progressing really well based on our plan (thanks to our awesome team).
Of course, we weren’t expecting smooth sailing the entire way and then as all adventures go, came along a problem. Our dear Mr. Murphy had finally made an appearance and as you might guess it wasn’t a very pleasant visit either (in case we are losing you, ref. Murphy’s Law in the first post). But us book-loving souls are an optimistic kind (on most days!), our resolve was strong and we found a solution. So there is a slight change in plans; we may not be opening exactly where we promised but this new place is equally familiar and comfortable. :)
We don’t want to bore you with the silly details of the many w’s all we can say for now is that we shared a vision with you and we are not about to give up on it and that’s how we politely said goodbye to Mr. Murphy (hopefully for good).
In the tradition of sharing, here’s a little something we bought for the space this week; somehow we thought it was just perfect! What do you think?
PS: Let the countdown begin, you better be at our launch party!
You guys are incredible! We have only made one small post about The Project and we have customers getting excited already. We’ll be honest, we are feeling a bit pressurized now, we sincerely hope we meet your expectations. :)
We entered Phase 2 (which also happens to be the address – hint hint) of The Project today. We spent some time trying to come up with best layout and really getting that feel across. We want you to be able to see this space with our eyes and for that we are putting our everything into this. From the staff at our office to the person who will be selecting books for this location, we are only thinking does this match the ‘experience‘?
So here’s part of what we imagined for you today. Imagine a long tiring day at the office (or college or home) whatever might be your stress activator. You’re tired and you want to just unwind. Escape for a little while and hide somewhere. Maybe not the cafe today, they tend to be too loud sometimes. We imagined you sitting in this nice comfy sofa, with just the right amount of sunlight pouring in with a book of your choice and some nice 70’s music playing in the background. Did we mention you were surrounded by books?
Here’s a glimpse; the space is under construction so please ignore the mess and enjoy the spot! :)